AGENCY: Department of Natural Resources. Division of Water Rights

SERIES: 82684
TITLE: Water right files
DATES: 1905-

DESCRIPTION: This is the complete file of all of the water rights granted in the state to regulate the distribution of water. It includes application to appropriate water, certificate of permanent change of point of diversion, place, purpose or period of use of water, water user claim, application to segregate water, request for extension of time, recording of hearing, deed of water rights, underground water claim, proof of resumption of use of water, application for extension of time within which to resume use of water, notice to water users advertisement, application for temporary change of point of diversion, place or purpose of use, application to renovate or replace an existing well, permit application to alter a natural channel, statement of water user's claim to diligence rights, adjudication notices (which includes returned undeliverable mail), and segregation and permanent change. Information includes the name and address of the applicant, the water source, the drainage area, the nature and period of use, the location of the point of diversion, the quantity of water, the place of use, a description of any well, and a record of any change of ownership. Proof of mail (return envelopes) are also in this series, with the same retention, but are kept for 99 years.


Retain permanently


May Transfer to Archives.


Retention and disposition for this series were specifically approved by the State Records Committee.

APPROVED: 06/1987


Paper: For records prior to and including 2018. Retain in Office until claim lapses and then microfilm and destroy provided microfilm has passed inspection.

Microfiche master: Retain in Office permanently.

Microfilm master: Retain in State Archives permanently with authority to weed.

Paper: For records beginning in 2018 and continuing to the present. Retain in Office until claim lapses and records are scanned and then destroy.

Computer data files: Retain in Office permanently.

Paper: Retain in Office for 1 year and then transfer to State Records Center. Retain in State Records Center for 99 years and then return to agency.

Audio cassettes: Retain in Office for 5 years and then transfer to State Archives with authority to weed.



A record of water user claims must be kept by the office and must be accessible to the staff and to the public. The retention of these records in the above formats is requested by the staff for their administrative purposes.